Legacy keyboard suppport stops USB from working! (uhci)

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 12 06:37:22 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:20:35AM +0000, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <20041110111231.GB908 at genius.tao.org.uk>, Josef Karthauser writes:
> >
> >Do users know that having legacy keyboard/mouse support switched on
> >in the bios is a sure fire way of causing USB to not work properly?
> >I wonder whether we would benefit from something like the following
> >patch.
>
> It's worth noting that the reason legacy emulation causes problems
> is often that FreeBSD has not undone the BIOS's configuration of
> the EHCI controller. Adding 'device ehci' to the kernel config seems
> to fix this in many cases. What hardware were you seeing the problem
> on, and does it have an EHCI controller that's not being set up by
> FreeBSD?
>
> Many PCs these days have no PS/2 mouse or keyboard ports, so it's
> important that we work with legacy emulation turned on where possible.

Ben Paley will be able to say more as it's his hardware, but it was a
UHCI chipset and thus no EHCI was present.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/