Svn West down?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sun Nov 9 04:00:44 UTC 2014

On Saturday, November 08, 2014 10:51:53 PM Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <545EDF25.5080705 at my.hennepintech.edu>,
>
> aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu writes:
> >On 2014.11.08 21:04, jungle Boogie wrote:
> >> I'm trying to update my ten stable machine but I receive a message that
> >> the
> >> west location is unreachable.
> >>
> >> Svn0.us-west.freebsd.ord
> >>
> >> Is anyone else experiencing the some issue? Is this a planned outage?
> >
> >I experienced the same thing a while ago and switched to us-east, but I
> >assumed the outage was temporary...
>
> All FreeBSD Project systems (there are a few hundred, counting jails)
> are updated once a month (most run -current or -stable).  This month's
> updates were delayed a week because the cluster admins were at the
> MeetBSD event when they would otherwise have been overseeing the
> upgrade.

It should have been just moments, however, things went horribly, horribly
wrong.

Highlights:

Nov  9 02:24:40 bit-master kernel: pid 30460 (bsdtar), uid 0 inumber 865562 on
/: filesystem full
Nov  9 02:24:41 bit-master login: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_opie.so
found
Nov  9 02:24:41 bit-master login: pam_start(): system error
can't find 'kernel'
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
Shared object "libedit.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: /rescue/sh
#
# chflags -R noschg /lib /usr/lib
Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "chflags"

etc. It's been one of those days.

Tip: if you are using svn:// or http:// for mirrors rather than https://, you
can use "svn://svnmir.freebsd.org" or "http://svnmir.freebsd.org" which are
geo-dns routed and fail over in about 90 seconds if one server goes down.

(https:// won't work reliably because they have different ssl certs on the
backends. We'll fix that, but not today.)

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246