Best first desktop BSD distro

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Tue Mar 29 21:03:35 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 06:16, Jason Hsu wrote:
	[..]

> So what do you recommend as my first desktop BSD distro?

PC-BSD. Seriously. You say you've got it already, so try it on real hardware
rather than inside virtualbox. I use PC-BSD 8.1 for both my home and work desktops.
Try using PC-BSD's "PBI" package system for plug-n-play installation of common
things like Firefox, Thunderbird, VirtualBox, etc from the GUI. (Some of
them are already on the PC-BSD DVD image as PBI files.)

Is PC-BSD "better" than the best linux desktop distros? Probably not. But
it is a good way to get a FreeBSD desktop running.

cheers,
gja