MFC ZFS: when?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 29 02:39:35 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:58:51PM -0500, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> In several of the recent ZFS posts, multiple people have asked when this
> will be MFC'd to 7.x.  This query has been studiously ignored as other
> chatter about whatever ZFS issue is discussed.
>
> So in a post with no other bug report or discussion content to distract us,
> when is it intended that ZFS be MFC'd to 7.x?

I can't give you the date yet, simply because its too early to judge how
stable the new ZFS is. The amount of code changes is really huge.
The ZFS functionality is also huge (which is good for the users, not so
good for me) and I'm simply unable to test entire thing. While I was
working on ZFSv13 port I started working on regression tests as well
(you can find some in tools/regression/zfs/) so I could have more
automated testing. Eventhough I implemented 2850 tests, it not even
covers entire zpool(8) functionality.

All in all. People are using ZFS in production, but not only them won't
be happy to lose their data, so I'm not going to MFC ZFS until I'm
convinced the new one is at least not worse than the old one. To speed
up this process everyone is very welcome to try ZFS on HEAD and report
results (both bad and good).

The current plan is to have new ZFS in 7.2. For this to happen, some
other changes have to be MFCed too, like *at() syscalls, etc.

I hope this helps to understand what's going on.