MFC ZFS: when?

Lorenzo Perone lopez.on.the.lists at yellowspace.net
Fri Nov 28 11:37:26 PST 2008

On 22.11.2008, at 00:58, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> In several of the recent ZFS posts, multiple people have asked when
> this
> will be MFC'd to 7.x.  This query has been studiously ignored as other
> chatter about whatever ZFS issue is discussed.
>
> So in a post with no other bug report or discussion content to
> distract us,
> when is it intended that ZFS be MFC'd to 7.x?

While I'd seconded update info a month ago, I think it is no more
inappropriate. Work is actively ongoing (if you follow -current)
and now it's time to take out that old (or new) box and help
debugging all possible scenarios on CURRENT before crying after
the next kmap_too_small or panic. If I understand correctly,
the issues arising with large de/allocations of memory in
kernel space is a tricky buisiness which needs careful and
thorough testing, tuning and thinking...
Afaik, even solaris hasn't ironed out all the potential problems,
e.g. if you read this article and the linked bugdatabase entries...:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Evil_Tuning_Guide#Limiting_the_ARC_Cache

So let's really rather help (if possible) with
a -current install, or at least not take time with
tedious requests :)

Sincere regards to PJD and the whole development
core team, as FreeBSD is really keeping up with the
fast tech hype - but with style.

Lorenzo