Recent sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot2.c commit

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Sat Jul 12 18:44:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> Can someone shed some light on the below commit, particularly if it's
> responsible for fixing what some users have reported with boot2/loader:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-June/043363.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-June/024856.html

>From the look of it, this is a change to the code that parses the
"0(ad0,a)/boot/loader" strings, from a glance at the code I suspect that
before this change, it was not possible to boot off the last possible
partition (which I think is 4, but I could be wrong).  So installs on ad3
would not be bootable.

In short, I don't think many people will have been seeing this issue.

Gavin