Problem with /boot/loader

Kelly Black kjblack at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 15:03:36 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a problem with loader. I recently upgraded from 6_rel to 7_rel.
Now when I install world there is a problem booting.

Here is what I do:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=BLACK
make installkernel KERNCONF=BLACK

At this point I can reboot and all is good. After boot I install the new world:

cd /usr/src
mergemaster -p
reboot into single user mode
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster

Now when I reboot there is a problem. I get an error that the system
cannot boot. Part of it looks like this:
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

If I boot from a live disk and replace /boot/loader with
/boot/loader.old it boots up fine and everything looks good. A new
world and a new kernel. I would be grateful for any help or any
pointers.

Sincerely,
Kel

PS I do not do anything special with my loader config files:

$ cat loader.conf
snd_ich_load="YES"
$ cat loader.rc
\ Loader.rc
\ $FreeBSD: src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc,v 1.4 2005/10/30
05:41:42 scottl Exp $
\
\ Includes additional commands
include /boot/loader.4th

\ Reads and processes loader.conf variables
start

\ Tests for password -- executes autoboot first if a password was defined
check-password

\ Load in the boot menu
include /boot/beastie.4th

\ Start the boot menu
beastie-start

Kelly Black Phone: (518) 388-8727
Department of Mathematics FAX: (603) 388-6005
Union College e-mail: kelly.black at union.edu
Schenectady NY 12308 (USA) WWW: http://blackk.union.edu/~black