RELENG_7 2008/01/10 desktop system also periodically freezes

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Sat Jan 12 09:31:00 PST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:49:29 -0500, I wrote:

> I have yet to experience a "random" freeze not directly attributable
> to a softupdate while running the lock profiling.  I am running with
> lock profiling on, and resetting the profiling counters once a minute.
> Yesterday and this morning, I've run for quite a while now with lock
> profiling on but without a "random" freeze.  I'll wait some more, but
> I'm hoping that enabling the lock profiling hasn't masked the freeze.
> I'll post again when I see one..

It is looking more likely to me that enabling lock profiling does mask
the freeze.  I ran for more than 10 hours yesterday with lock profiling
enabled and did not observe a single freeze.  After about 7 hours, I
stopped the lock profiling and within 20 mins or so, I experienced a
NINE MINUTE freeze!!  On re-enabling the lock profiling, I ran for about
3 more hours with no further freezes.

At the time of that long freeze, all I was doing was typing an email
message.  The load average was almost 0.  Mail client is claws-email.
Also running but idle were firefox, ical, several xterms, fvwm & its
children (Fvwm{Buttons,Event,Pager,IconMan}), xload and xclock.  And
xorg which uses the xf86-video-intel driver.  Daemons running were
wpa_supplicant, dhclient, devd, syslogd, cupsd, ntpd, powerd, sshd,
sendmail, cron, moused and xdm.  That is all.

I had only one browser window open, the last page I'd viewed there
was one containing some flash, I have linux-flash7 installed and
nspluginwrapper to make that work in the native browser.

All code (kernel, world and ports) have been compiled locally - there
are no packages installed.  Kernel is RELENG_7 from two days ago,
world and ports are about one month old.

If I get time today I may have a go at getting schedgraph info
instead of continuing with lock profiling.

	-jr