RELENG_7 2008/01/10 desktop system also periodically freezes

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Sat Jan 12 10:40:41 PST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:30:53 -0500, I wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:49:29 -0500, I wrote:
> >
> > I have yet to experience a "random" freeze not directly attributable
>
> It is looking more likely to me that enabling lock profiling does mask
>
> At the time of that long freeze, all I was doing was typing an email
> message.  The load average was almost 0.  Mail client is claws-email.
> Also running but idle were firefox, ical, several xterms, fvwm & its
> children (Fvwm{Buttons,Event,Pager,IconMan}), xload and xclock.  And
> xorg which uses the xf86-video-intel driver.  Daemons running were
> wpa_supplicant, dhclient, devd, syslogd, cupsd, ntpd, powerd, sshd,
> sendmail, cron, moused and xdm.  That is all.
>
> I had only one browser window open, the last page I'd viewed there
> was one containing some flash, I have linux-flash7 installed and
> nspluginwrapper to make that work in the native browser.

Ah!  Just experienced a short freeze (it seemed like about 5 secs) while
lock profiling was enabled.

The profile from the last minute is here:
    http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/releng_7-freeze/200801121331-unknown.txt

There's an almost 4 second wait_avg for:
    /usr/src/sys/sys/buf.h:280 (lockmgr:bufwait)

I had exactly the same mix of programs open as shown above.

	-jr