RELENG_7 2008/01/10 desktop system also periodically freezes

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Fri Jan 11 09:49:38 PST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:32:12 +0100, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:

> J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:38:29 +0100, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> OK, same requests as to the others then.
> >>

> > I presume you mean hwpmc...
>
> LOCK_PROFILING, sched_graph, hwpmc.

Quick update on this so that folk know what's going on.

Firstly, I've updated the code here to RELENG_7 csup'd yesterday and
if I run a "normal" kernel, without debugging, I do see the same freezes
with that, too.

Secondly, I am unable to process hwpcm dumps using pmcstat because it
core dumps when using the "-R" option to decode a dump.  I will talk to
jkoshy@ about that.

I am now running a kernel with LOCK_PROFILING.  I am able to create a
freeze due to the softupdate activity by removing a large file; a lock
profile captured surrounding such a freeze can be seen here:
    http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/releng_7-freeze/200801111135-softupdate.txt
This is easily repeatable.  The sequence is:
	create 1.5GB file
	sysctl debug.lock.prof.enable=1
	rm file
	... wait, moving mouse until it freezes then unfreezes ...
	sysctl debug.lock.prof.enable=0
	sysctl debug.lock.prof.stats
Kostik, is this of any help to you?

I have yet to experience a "random" freeze not directly attributable
to a softupdate while running the lock profiling.  I am running with
lock profiling on, and resetting the profiling counters once a minute.
Yesterday and this morning, I've run for quite a while now with lock
profiling on but without a "random" freeze.  I'll wait some more, but
I'm hoping that enabling the lock profiling hasn't masked the freeze.
I'll post again when I see one..

	-jr