UPDATE2: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Thu Feb 17 06:38:05 PST 2005

Marcus Grando wrote:
> Hi
>
> Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Hmm, does it work without apic ? without ACPI ?
>> And your cabling is correct and spec conformant ?
>> The 686A' I have in the lab works just dandy...
>
> I test all combinations (with/without apic | with/without ACPI), and
> problems persist.

OK.

> It will be that the problem is not with the compatibility of the
> controller with my HD?

Have you tried other disks on this board ?
Have you tried this disk on another board ?
Is the disk in a drawer/enclosure of sorts ?

> I changed 3 times the cable. I don't think that cable is problem.

Depends, you need proper 80 conductor cables no longer than 45cm's, the
blue connector goes at the controller end, and the black/grey goes on
the master/slave device.
ICRC errors are because the checksum on the data does match, which means
that the communication path between disk and controller is
malfunctioning. The usual suspect is the cable, but it can also be bad
or loose connectors, or a flaky/unstable PSU.

--

-Søren