5.3 -> 5 : sshd multiple log entries & login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Feb 6 13:07:57 PST 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:29:23PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
> >
> > > *Possible* exact reproduction steps:
> > > - install RELENG_5
> > > - rebuild RELENG_5 with "NO_NIS=true" in /etc/make.conf
> > > - restart sshd service
> >
> > Sorry, no dice.  I had to set "PermitRootLogin yes" in
> > /etc/ssh/sshd_config but logging in as root with password succeeds with no
> > login class warning. Upgraded from a RELENG_5 from yesterday to one about
> > 90 minutes old.
> >
> > What is the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf? bz is telling me that if you
> > still have 'nis' in the lines in nsswitch and you compile with NO_NIS that
> > you'll get wierd user lookup errors.
> >
> > Also what are the contents of /etc/make.conf?
>
> #--- The nsswitch.conf:
> group: compat
> group_compat: nis
> hosts: files dns
> networks: files
> passwd: compat
> passwd_compat: nis
> shells: files
> #----------------------
>
> Hmm, I completely forgot about that one. :( I guess 'nis' should have been
> switched to 'files' whenever system is compiled with "NO_NIS=true".

it's not documented - sorry, will do that.

change it to sth like:

group: files
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files
shells: files

w/o this change I can see sth like this when doing passwd auth:

'sshd[1995]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis, passwd_compat, endpwent, not found'

But I suspect this will not help with your problem.
Did you change your login.conf?

Could you mail me (private mail please) the library with which you can
see the problems?