5.3 -> 5 : sshd multiple log entries & login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

Andrew Konstantinov andrei at kableu.com
Sun Feb 6 12:52:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:29:23PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
>
> > *Possible* exact reproduction steps:
> > - install RELENG_5
> > - rebuild RELENG_5 with "NO_NIS=true" in /etc/make.conf
> > - restart sshd service
>
> Sorry, no dice.  I had to set "PermitRootLogin yes" in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config but logging in as root with password succeeds with no
> login class warning. Upgraded from a RELENG_5 from yesterday to one about
> 90 minutes old.
>
> What is the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf? bz is telling me that if you
> still have 'nis' in the lines in nsswitch and you compile with NO_NIS that
> you'll get wierd user lookup errors.
>
> Also what are the contents of /etc/make.conf?

#--- The nsswitch.conf:
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
#----------------------

Hmm, I completely forgot about that one. :( I guess 'nis' should have been
switched to 'files' whenever system is compiled with "NO_NIS=true".

#--- current make.conf:
CFLAGS=		-O -pipe
COPTFLAGS=	-O -pipe
CPUTYPE=	athlon-xp