openoffice port build on FreeBSD 4.9

Stephen Albright salbrig at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 05:57:18 PDT 2003

> 3) Something wrong in your ports tree (and you
> definitelly has this issue due to OO-1.0.3 - from
the
> latest ports tree, however mozilla-1.0.2 is at least
> half year old, and jdk-1.3.1p8_2 is also replaced
> with jdk-1.3.1p9)

I have already installed Mozilla, so I will need to
portupgrade then correct?  Also, I CVSup source and
ports every morning (is this a bad idea?) I thought
this would update jdk-1.3.1p8_2 to p9 is that not
correct thinking?

> Fixes are:
> 1) Install OO from package (i.e. precompiled) - it
>    is much simpler and in most cases is good enough

I tried this by downloading openoffice-1.1RC4.tgz,
unzipped it, and then did a pkg_add, and had problems
(I cannot remember the exactly the errors, I will see
if I can reproduce them and add that info later).

> 2) CVSup your ports tree to latest
>    Then you could try to build OO without JDK
>    or consult http://www.freebsd.org/java on
>    jdk installation procedure

I have not tried it without JDK, so I will look into
those options above.

> 3) As soon as you are a "good enough" investigate
>    FreeBSD handbook, then buy a book (or books)
>    about FreeBSD. I think you'll find recomended
>    reading on www.freebsd.org.
>    And dont forget that knowlege is nothing without
>    practice :o)

I have a couple on the way, just not here in time to
tackle this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen