Enlightenment tips and tricks

Allen Unix.Hacker at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 18:48:10 UTC 2011

On 9/19/2011 2:57 PM, Open Slate wrote:
> After using Gnome for awhile I am giving Enlightenment a try. Loved it many
> years ago but it consumed a lot of resources, the current version does not
> appear to have that limitation.

I use Enlightenment and Love it. I'm not one of those people who ever
really managed to pick a manager, so I use whatever I feel like that
day. I haven't really ever noticed E taking up resources though, and I
had a 433 MHz Celeron with 192 MBs of RAM with Slackware and FreeBSD on
it, and E ran fan even with the Special FX stuff on.

> What other ports do Enlightenment fans recommend to extend its
> functionality? I have the gimp, Abi Word, Lyx, and Bluefish. I do like
> Gnumenric, but doesn't that pull in a lot of Gnome? (i already have Gnome
> but want to do over without it.) I am not a heavy spreadsheet power-user,
> maybe I should stick with Google Docs, which I do use?

Personally, I like Opera, and it works on any of them. I also use
AbiWord, and more. As far as I know, you can use anything, there's not
to much that requires you have a bunch of Desktops or something
installed. For Spread Sheets, I don't use them really because I can't
stand them, but last I looked, there's like 10 or more you can use on
FreeBSD, and you have everything from GUI ones to TUI ones.

> Favorite mail clients? I used to use sylpheed, does it play well with
> Enlightenment?

I use it, and I use Kmail, which does need some KDE stuff, but I like
it, and have all of it installed anyway most of the time, but you can
also use Seamonkey as well which doesn't need everything Kmail does to
run. If you have a good ISP who lets you connect to the server with
Fetchmail, and use your own to send mail, use Mutt, it's the best mail
client on the planet.

> Favorite web browser, again looking for integration, the way Epiphany fits
> in with Gnome.

E doesn't have a Web Browser, but, again, Epiphany, Galeon, Seamonkey,
Opera, you have choices.

> System administration tools?

sysinstall ;)

> Notebook computer stuff, especially power management, at least as much as
> Gnome has. Monitoring tools, at least.
>
> A replacement for gdm that is more like Enlightenment than xdm is, as I
> recall.

I don't think there's an EDM, but there IS a "wdm" ;) Again that isn't E
but Window Maker is great, and, if you have enough Gnome installed, just
use GDM. For some reason, there seem to not be that many Display
Managers compared to everything else. KDM, GDM, XDM, WDM, might be one
more but I'm not looking right now.