How To Fix "Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated"

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Oct 16 03:20:42 UTC 2011

Somehow while trying to upgrade my ports, I got things out of whack.
The final straw was that perl got upgraded from 5.8.9 to 5.12.4.  I've
read the notes in UPDATING but they are not helping my situation.
Finally, I just decided that a "portupgrade -af" would be in my best
interest.  However now portupgrade complains that "Makefile possibly
broken" and then give this more relevant error:

Use of assignment to $[ is deprecated at /usr/local/sbin/apxs line 86.

This seems to be the case for just about any port I try and fix.  I
think this file is part of apache22 so I attempted to rebuild it.  It
compiles fine but fails on the install portion with this output:

--->  Installing the new version via the port
===>  Installing for apache-2.2.21
===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.12.4 - found
===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: expat.6 - found
===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: apr-1 - found
===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: pcre.0 - found
===>   apache-2.2.21 depends on shared library: iconv.3 - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
Making install in srclib
Making install in os
Making install in unix
Making install in server
Making install in mpm
Making install in prefork
find: /usr/local/include/apr-1/apr.h: No such file or directory

And then includes "No such file or directory" for 2-3 screens of files.

How can I fix my system?

Thanks,

Drew

--