mouse problems....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Oct 11 19:14:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:27:41PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:14:38 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	Bah, or Bah-humbug!  I tried the quick-fix mod and get the
> > 	following:
> >

> > moused_type="auto"
> > moused: optind: 9, optarg: '4'
> > moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory
> > ethic#
>
> This was to be expected. Check
>
> 	# dmesg | grep psm
>
> If no PS/2 mouse shows up, moused has nothing to connect to. Maybe
> resetting (power-cycling) the KVM switch helps?
>

> > 	Then i dropped in your four line into /etc/rc.conf and rebooted.
> > 	A few lines before the prompt was the message that "/dev/psm0"
> > 	was not file nor directory.
>
> Same thing - no device there.
>

> > 	Suggestions?  The kernel on this '09 Dell is from last December.
> > 	I'll rebuild.
>
> I've been using PS/2 mice with 4.0 GENERIC kernel, so there will
> surely be no "bleeding edge" technology needed. :-)
>
> The psm driver has been part of the GENERIC kernel for years, and
> I doubt is has been removed lately...
>

> > 	I finished upgrading kernel and world on my 2003 Dell.  Will
> > 	drop in your 4 lines and see what happened after reboot.
>
> Also check dmesg. The psm device MUST be found. It should "come through"
> the same controller mechanism as the keyboard (atkbdc), so if the
> keyboard works, the mouse should, too.
>
> Oh, just a suggestion: if you can directly connect a mouse, check
> if it works. Do NOT connect anything from or to a PS/2 connector
> while the system is powered on! PS/2 is NOT hot-pluggable!

	This mouse is A USB type.  The KVM only has two USM slots,
	nothing for a PS/2 type anything... I think.  Wait. the keyboard
	is old enough to be PS/2.  Trouble is that I can't see back
	behind the KVM box.  The 'user manual' has few diagrams.

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org