mouse problems....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 11 18:27:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:14:38 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	Bah, or Bah-humbug!  I tried the quick-fix mod and get the
> 	following:
>

> moused_type="auto"
> moused: optind: 9, optarg: '4'
> moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory
> ethic#

This was to be expected. Check

	# dmesg | grep psm

If no PS/2 mouse shows up, moused has nothing to connect to. Maybe
resetting (power-cycling) the KVM switch helps?

> 	Then i dropped in your four line into /etc/rc.conf and rebooted.
> 	A few lines before the prompt was the message that "/dev/psm0"
> 	was not file nor directory.

Same thing - no device there.

> 	Suggestions?  The kernel on this '09 Dell is from last December.
> 	I'll rebuild.

I've been using PS/2 mice with 4.0 GENERIC kernel, so there will
surely be no "bleeding edge" technology needed. :-)

The psm driver has been part of the GENERIC kernel for years, and
I doubt is has been removed lately...

> 	I finished upgrading kernel and world on my 2003 Dell.  Will
> 	drop in your 4 lines and see what happened after reboot.

Also check dmesg. The psm device MUST be found. It should "come through"
the same controller mechanism as the keyboard (atkbdc), so if the
keyboard works, the mouse should, too.

Oh, just a suggestion: if you can directly connect a mouse, check
if it works. Do NOT connect anything from or to a PS/2 connector
while the system is powered on! PS/2 is NOT hot-pluggable!

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany