mouse problems....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Oct 11 18:14:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 07:31:53PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:41:52 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	I'm including the dmesg output from the server.  Is there a
> > 	mouse driver I can compile that will get the mouse working on my
> > 	two FreeBSD platforms?
>
> This is not needed - the mouse driver is already in the default
> kernel. For a PS/2 mouse, dmesg should show a "psm" entry, and
> there should be /dev/psm0.
>
> I think I don't see a mouse in this dmesg, so there is NO mouse.
> The keyboard seems to be present.
>
> The psm device can be configured per /etc/rc.conf using moused.
> While USB mice get configured by the USB subsystem automatically,
> PS/2 and serial mice do not.
>
> Here's an example entry:
>
> 	moused_enable="YES"
> 	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
> 	moused_flags="-z 4"
> 	moused_type="auto"
>
> If you're using X, it should pick up a mouse configured this
> way. There should be no need to edit xorg.conf (unless you intendedly
> need nonstandard settings that the autodetection magic won't get
> right).
>
> You can check if the mouse works if you move the cursor in text
> mode. An arrow should be visible. If you just want to check things
> without file modifying (and rebooting), you can invoke moused
> directly, e. g.
>
> 	moused -d -f -p /dev/psm0 -t auto -z 4
>
> Here, -d enables debugging messages, and -f forces moused NOT to
> become a daemon, so you can ^C to purge it when done. If you see that
> the settings are working properly, modify the rc.conf file as shown
> above.
>

> Compiling kernel & world to get a mouse working, bah... :-)

	Bah, or Bah-humbug!  I tried the quick-fix mod and get the
	following:

moused_type="auto"
moused: optind: 9, optarg: '4'
moused: unable to open /dev/psm0: No such file or directory
ethic#

	Then i dropped in your four line into /etc/rc.conf and rebooted.
	A few lines before the prompt was the message that "/dev/psm0"
	was not file nor directory.

	Suggestions?  The kernel on this '09 Dell is from last December.
	I'll rebuild.

	I finished upgrading kernel and world on my 2003 Dell.  Will
	drop in your 4 lines and see what happened after reboot.

	[??]

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org