Partions per slice limitation removed?

Mak Kolybabi mak at kolybabi.com
Thu Aug 13 22:42:10 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-13 13:41, Doug Poland wrote:
> I thought I recalled reading, within the last few months, that there is no
> longer a 8 partition/slice limitation in FreeBSD. I've been googling and
> reading man pages to verify that but cannot find any documentation to support
> it. Was I dreaming?

(Forgot to send this reply to the list the first time, not just the OP.)

No, you were not dreaming. When in doubt, check the source. From
head/sbin/bsdlabel/bsdlabel.c [1]:

"Allow bsdlabel to operate on labels that have at most 26 partitions by virtue
of there not being any (lower-case) letters avaliable for more partitions."

[1] http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=174501

--
Matthew Anthony Kolybabi (Mak)
<mak at kolybabi.com>

() ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  | Against proprietary extensions