this is csup ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Aug 13 22:39:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:20:17 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Well, I'm a bit confused about this "script" - something doesn't make
> sense - what are you supposed to call the script?

The script is intended to automate updating a bit. It still
relies on the presence of csup or cvsup AND its correct
configuration.

> And it doesn't work as
> written:

Oh yes, it does - under specific circumstances. :-)

> # update-ports    #(the name I gave the script - maybe I didn't
> understand something about how to write the script - the instructions
> clearly said copy the script)
> make: don't know how to make update. Stop

Try it manually, just to be sure:

	# cd /usr/ports
	# make update

Or:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make update

Both should work.

> /usr/ports/INDEX-7.bz2             100% of 1283 kB  581 kBps
> Now run:
> /usr/local/sbin/update-ports: echo# /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u : not found
> /usr/local/sbin/update-ports: echo /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -uvF : not found
>
> I guess that then I have to rund them manually... something ain't right,
> right?

Yes, you CAN run them - but it depends on the following:

Do you have portinstall / portupgrade installed, and do you use
it? Then it's always wise to run pkgdb. The program portsdb belongs
to the same port.

If these commands fail, you don't have portupgrade installed.

Before you use the script, you should try to use its steps manually
first, just to make sure they work.

In an abbreviated form, update can go like this:

	#!/bin/sh
	cd /usr/ports
	make fetch-index
	make update
	pkgdb -uvF
	portsdb -u
	cd /usr/src
	make update

Again, it's important that /etc/make.conf and the control files for
the update program - csup or cvsup - are correct.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0