Partions per slice limitation removed?

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 10:47:15 UTC 2009

Mak Kolybabi wrote:
> On 2009-08-13 13:41, Doug Poland wrote:
>
>> I thought I recalled reading, within the last few months, that there is no
>> longer a 8 partition/slice limitation in FreeBSD. I've been googling and
>> reading man pages to verify that but cannot find any documentation to support
>> it. Was I dreaming?
>>

> (Forgot to send this reply to the list the first time, not just the OP.)
>
> No, you were not dreaming. When in doubt, check the source. From
> head/sbin/bsdlabel/bsdlabel.c [1]:
>
> "Allow bsdlabel to operate on labels that have at most 26 partitions by virtue
> of there not being any (lower-case) letters avaliable for more partitions."
>
> [1] http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=174501

Indeed and from http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html (a
reasonably complete list of whats comming in 8.0) it says

bsdlabel gets extended to 26 partitions

Author: Marcel Moolenaar
web: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2007-December/084949.html

bsdlabel is (finally!) extended to support more than 8 partitions. The
new limit of 26 partitions comes from the number of lower-case letters.

To make use of this change, GEOM_PART needs to be used instead of
GEOM_BSD (this requires custom kernel configurations).

Vince