7.1

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 17 04:57:25 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 02:49:26PM +0200, Ott Köstner wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>> Ott Köstner wrote:

>>> I am a person, who made a mistake, installing 7.1 on my production
>>> server (actually RELENG_7 stable, which shows up as 7.1).
>>>
>>> My question is, how stupid is that mistake? Is it better to reinstall
>>> 7.0 before something really bad happens, or can I just let it run?
>>> What are the most serious bugs to expect?
>>>

>>> Greetings,
>>> O.K.
>>>

>> It all depends on the programs you run, your configuration, system
>> load and so on. Bugs that may be present in the system, may simply not
>> be applicable to you, if you are not using the specific part or
>> feature that has the problem.  While it is difficult to assess without
>> knowing specific details, I think 7.1 is generally stable at the
>> moment. Maybe people using it in production servers (if any) can step
>> in and share their experiences.
>>
> I have just regular internet things running:
> apache22, mysql5, bind94, php5, postfix, dovecot, proftpd, clamav,
> spamassasin, snmpd...
>
> ...plus ipfw and pf

I'm not sure why you're paranoid of 7.1-PRERELEASE (RELENG_7 at the
present time).  It seems like you installed it or upgraded to it, then
became "greatly concerned" for strange reasons.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  The only
"gigantic" difference, as I see it, is that the ULE scheduler is now the
default (while in 7.0, 4BSD was default).

I personally run all of the above services (minus bind94, clamav, and
snmpd; I use the base system bind, do not care for AV software, and use
bsnmpd where applicable), and I also run all of those services on
servers in my co-location.  We have a RELENG_7 box which is working fine
doing all of the above, on a dual-core processor to boot.

> Actually there is one strange thing what I described here before --
> 'top' reporting incorrect process times. But this appeared already when
> I upgraded from FreBSD 6.3 to 7.0. The bug appears on all 7.++ machines,
> i386 and amd64. Everything is OK with single-threaded processes, but
> processes with multiple threades are reported incorrectly by top.
> Anybody else has experienced this?

Sounds familiar (not personally).  There are efforts underway in CURRENT
to improve top.  I would recommend posting your top problem to -stable
or -hackers.

> Also, there was a strange phenomenon with FreeBSD router with pf.
> the rule in question is:
> 'scrub in all'
>
> I do not knw, if this has anything to do with 7.1 issue. Maybe it is not
> just a good idea to have a 'scrub' rule on router...

No, it's perfectly fine.  But your description of the problem is too
terse, and the issue should be discussed on freebsd-pf not here.

There *are* other problems with pf which have been fixed in RELENG_7
(7.1), and you can review my Wiki to see what those are.