7.1

Ott Köstner OttK at zzz.ee
Mon Nov 17 04:49:32 PST 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Ott Köstner wrote:
>> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think it is a matter of days, we have not even reached RC
>>> status yet on 7.1
>>> On  a production server you will probably wish to go with
>>> 7.0-RELEASE-p5. It would be trivial to upgrade to 7.1 by means of
>>> freebsd-update(8) when it is released.
>>> You probably don't want to risk 7.1-PRERELEASE on a server, but for
>>> anyone running workstations, desktops, laptops I think it is worth
>>> trying at this moment.
>> I am a person, who made a mistake, installing 7.1 on my production
>> server (actually RELENG_7 stable, which shows up as 7.1).
>>
>> My question is, how stupid is that mistake? Is it better to reinstall
>> 7.0 before something really bad happens, or can I just let it run?
>> What are the most serious bugs to expect?
>>

>> Greetings,
>> O.K.
>>

> It all depends on the programs you run, your configuration, system
> load and so on. Bugs that may be present in the system, may simply not
> be applicable to you, if you are not using the specific part or
> feature that has the problem.  While it is difficult to assess without
> knowing specific details, I think 7.1 is generally stable at the
> moment. Maybe people using it in production servers (if any) can step
> in and share their experiences.

I have just regular internet things running:
apache22, mysql5, bind94, php5, postfix, dovecot, proftpd, clamav,
spamassasin, snmpd...

...plus ipfw and pf

Actually there is one strange thing what I described here before --
'top' reporting incorrect process times. But this appeared already when
I upgraded from FreBSD 6.3 to 7.0. The bug appears on all 7.++ machines,
i386 and amd64. Everything is OK with single-threaded processes, but
processes with multiple threades are reported incorrectly by top.
Anybody else has experienced this?

Also, there was a strange phenomenon with FreeBSD router with pf.
the rule in question is:
'scrub in all'

I do not knw, if this has anything to do with 7.1 issue. Maybe it is not
just a good idea to have a 'scrub' rule on router...

Greetings,
O.K.

--
Testi oma Interneti kiirust / Test Your Internet speed:
http://speedtest.zzz.ee/