network tools

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Fri Sep 2 18:14:45 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:01:56AM +0100, Chris wrote:

[...]
> Today I had a download running at about 60kB/s and he said his (XP
> based) limewire was showing 25kB/s download and 5kB/s upload. When he
> turned off limewire my download speed went back to 120k.
>
> Why don't the numbers support the experience? We have 1Mb/s download and
> 128K upload (telewest cable). In theory even between us we weren't using
> all the bandwidth.

You're getting pretty close to maximum possible speed there on your
connection. A 1Mbit/s connection is about 128KByte/s, which would
explain your ftp download speedometer reading. Allowing for TCP
overhead, you're getting pretty good throughput.

I'm unsure where you extra bandwidth goes when limewire is running.
Why don't you set up a caching name-server on your internal network
and see whether that helps.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>