network tools

Rein Kadastik wigry at uninet.ee
Sat Sep 3 00:56:53 PDT 2005

Jonathan Chen wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:01:56AM +0100, Chris wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>Today I had a download running at about 60kB/s and he said his (XP
>>based) limewire was showing 25kB/s download and 5kB/s upload. When he
>>turned off limewire my download speed went back to 120k.
>>
>>Why don't the numbers support the experience? We have 1Mb/s download and
>>128K upload (telewest cable). In theory even between us we weren't using
>>all the bandwidth.
>>

>You're getting pretty close to maximum possible speed there on your
>connection. A 1Mbit/s connection is about 128KByte/s, which would
>explain your ftp download speedometer reading. Allowing for TCP
>overhead, you're getting pretty good throughput.

I have one suspicion here. The Limwire does not show the actual speed
but the speed that is available for the program. What I mean is that the
Limwire protocol might create extra overhead and that explains "lost"
bandwith (for example for transferring 5 KB data it must create 6 KB TCP
packets but program sees that 5KB data is transferred).

Rein