network tools

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:47:39 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:
> Hi

<snip>

> If I put a FreeBSD NAT/router box between the cable modem and the LAN
> what console based tools should I put on it to examine what's happening?
>
> I would very much appreciate any help as this is becoming a bit of an
> issue here.
>
> fwiw FreeBSD box.13dog.org 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun Aug
> 21 17:46:54 BST 2005.

If you must have a console app, you might want to try ngrep, but I'm not
terribly familiar with it.

I really recommend bringing your box up to 5-Stable, cvsup your ports
tree, and install ntop-3.1_1.

It has its own web server - doesn't depend on Apache - and you'll find
lots of information there, including graphs for total bandwidth used
over the last hour with 5 minute resolution, top 3 talkers for the same
period, same for last 24 hours with 1/2 hour resolution, and lots more.
Well worth the investment of time.

Kurt