Upgrading from 5.3 to 6.0 (was: no subject)

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:24:15 PDT 2005

On 10/27/05, George Katsanos <gkatsanos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
>

> Since the actual 6.0 Release is taking too long , would you suggest me
> installing 6.0 RC-1 and then then 6.0 is out , can I just apply some patches
> , or I should Re-makeworld everything?...
>
> And another question , I'm on a PIII 550 with 256MB ram . I have 5.3 and
> some broken libs .Would you suggest me doing a fresh install , or a make
> world ? Consider I don't have the experience the second procedure takes ,
> but I've heard both opinions. Should I do a portupgrade -a after the
> makeworld ?...
>

> Thank you
>
> George

Yes, you can try 6.0RC1, it's pretty stable.

Read the Handbook and stick to the advice:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

You shouldn't have any trouble.

You should do "portupgrade -fa" (recompile all your
ports) after the upgrade is finished, but it's not an
urgent matter. You can as well wait a few weeks
and recompile them all then - thanks to binary
compatibility they will work until then.