math/grace port: "libXcursor.so.1.0" not found ?? [FBSD/Xorg error?]

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Oct 27 11:24:44 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 04:00:55AM -0700, Rob wrote:

> Here is the two points response from the grace
> mailinglist:
>

> 1. Because XOpenDisplay() causes dlerror() to be
>    set:
>    One of the FreeBSD X libraries is broken,
>    calling an inexisting libXcursor.so.1.0.
>
> 2. The FreeBSD dynamic loader is broken, ignoring
>    unresolved references in DLLs both at
>    initialization and run time.
>

> So is the libX11.so.6 on FreeBSD (or another) to be
> blamed?

Talk to the xorg maintainers (x11 at FreeBSD.org).  I suspect there are
two problems: the libXcursor.so.1.0.2 reference in the x library,
which should not be there, and a bug in xmgrace for not correctly
handling dlerror(), as Igor has been explaining.  xmgrace should be
robust enough to handle the case of some other application having
failed to dlopen() something, instead of assuming it has perfect
knowledge of the program state.

Kris