portupgrade stale dependencies

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 00:11:21 PDT 2005

On 10/27/05, John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com> wrote:

<...snip...>

> After clearing out the ports, updating ports (with portsnap) and
> source, and rebuilding the system and kernel... it seemed the ultimate
> problem was actually a dependency of the package to apache1.3. After I
> ran 'pkgdb -F' and "fixed" this dependency to point to apache2.1, but
> I still had trouble installing ports.
>
> 'portsdb -Uu' would not run, so I ran 'make fetchindex' and
> 'portupdate -a'.  From what I've read, this _should_ create an index
> and update all out-of-date ports and their dependencies, but it never
> has worked for me.  I just tried this combination again, and it
> (again) punts during portupdate.  This time, 38 ports were skipped and
> 7 failed, the first failure being a strange compiler error in updating
> from apache-2.0.48.
>
> I've been fighting with ports for long enough now to have become a bit
> frustrated with them.  If you have any thoughts or suggestions on how
> to troubleshoot them, please pass them on.
>
> Thanks,
> ~John

Do not fix dependencies if you're not sure that they
are really broken. Don't use apache21 unless 2.0
is absolutely inappropriate. The proper way to change
dependencies from apache1 to apache2 is to add
"WITH_APACHE2=true" to /etc/make.conf (or to
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, but that's an advanced
topic).

If you have portsdb utility, don't use make fetchindex,
just add -F to portsdb: "portsdb -uUF" will work fine.

You cann add -k to portupgrade, so that it doesn't
skip ports (but it won't fix the failed ones).

John, you'll have to spend a few hours reading
ports documentation before you find them really
great (which they really are).