sendmail/mailertable question

stan stanb at panix.com
Mon Oct 24 16:08:17 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 06:51:12PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:38 PM, stan wrote:
> >I have a machine that hosts several virtual domains. The domains
> >have wildcarded DNS records.
> >
> >I want mail recived for say "foo at listmaint.samp.ivosite.com" to get
> >passed
> >on downstream like that without striping out the "listmaint" part.
> >I think I can do this with mailertable.
>
> Get rid of the "hash -o" in your mailertable line, too.  Your DNS
> wildcard MX records are telling sendmail that the mail should go to
> prod1.ivo.net:

Just the -o part, right?

> ;; QUERY SECTION:
> ;;      listmaint.samp.ivosite.com, type = MX, class = IN
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> listmaint.samp.ivosite.com.  1H IN MX  10 prod1.ivo.net.
>
> If you want to disable DNS canonification, do something like this in
> your mailertable:
>
> listmaint.samp.ivosite.com    smtp:[IP_of_real_MX]
>
> ...where IP_of_real_MX if the IP address of the machine which is
> supposed to actually handle the mail for that machine, and is
> different from prod1.ivo.net.  You can't fool your wildcard DNS
> record otherwise, because even if you try, remote SMTP hosts will
> look up the MX anyway.

But it's _not_ different than prod1. I just want sendmail to pass
the  ucanonified name on to the downstream processing (think
procmail) so that it's easy for automated downstream processing
to handle it.

Sorry if I was not clear in the original message.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967