sendmail/mailertable question

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Oct 24 15:51:26 PDT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:38 PM, stan wrote:
> I have a machine that hosts several virtual domains. The domains
> have wildcarded DNS records.
>
> I want mail recived for say "foo at listmaint.samp.ivosite.com" to get
> passed
> on downstream like that without striping out the "listmaint" part.
> I think I can do this with mailertable.

Get rid of the "hash -o" in your mailertable line, too.  Your DNS
wildcard MX records are telling sendmail that the mail should go to
prod1.ivo.net:

;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      listmaint.samp.ivosite.com, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
listmaint.samp.ivosite.com.  1H IN MX  10 prod1.ivo.net.

If you want to disable DNS canonification, do something like this in
your mailertable:

listmaint.samp.ivosite.com    smtp:[IP_of_real_MX]

...where IP_of_real_MX if the IP address of the machine which is
supposed to actually handle the mail for that machine, and is
different from prod1.ivo.net.  You can't fool your wildcard DNS
record otherwise, because even if you try, remote SMTP hosts will
look up the MX anyway.

This is also why the usage of wildcard MX records is highly discouraged.

--
-Chuck