sendmail/mailertable question

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Oct 24 18:59:24 PDT 2005

stan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 06:51:12PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
>>Get rid of the "hash -o" in your mailertable line, too.  Your DNS
>>wildcard MX records are telling sendmail that the mail should go to
>>prod1.ivo.net:
>
> Just the -o part, right?

Yes.

>>If you want to disable DNS canonification, do something like this in
>>your mailertable:
>>
>>listmaint.samp.ivosite.com    smtp:[IP_of_real_MX]
>>
>>...where IP_of_real_MX if the IP address of the machine which is
>>supposed to actually handle the mail for that machine, and is
>>different from prod1.ivo.net.  You can't fool your wildcard DNS
>>record otherwise, because even if you try, remote SMTP hosts will
>>look up the MX anyway.
>
> But it's _not_ different than prod1. I just want sendmail to pass
> the  ucanonified name on to the downstream processing (think
> procmail) so that it's easy for automated downstream processing
> to handle it.

If this mail is going to be delivered locally, then you ought to add
listmaint.samp.ivosite.com to class w, perhaps via the file
/etc/mail/local-host-names.

	-----

You might want to use MASQUERADE_EXCEPTION(), as in:

FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`example.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`example.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_EXCEPTION(`www.example.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_EXCEPTION(`public.example.com')dnl
MASQUERADE_EXCEPTION(`private.example.com')dnl

Sendmail will re-write the hostname for anything matching *.example.com,
_except_ for www.example.com, public.example.com, as explicitly listed.

And you either need to list www.example.com in class w (aka the
local-host-names file), or you need to specify a mailertable entry using square
brackets to send the mail to some other server which will perform local
delivery for that hostname.

--
-Chuck