Playing Flash and video media in Firefox

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Fri Oct 7 06:39:23 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:10:45PM +0300, Adi Pircalabu wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:14:38 +0400
> "Andrew P." <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Still, I haven't figured out how to watch webcasts from some
> > stupid sites that try to detect whether you have WMP installed.

> Some sites are extremely broken, indeed. For example, I can't see
> the videos from uefa.com, they simply refuse to deliver me the
> content on either FreeBSD, SuSE and Ubuntu.

A little grepping around in the sites' HTML usually (not always)
allows you to figure out what file is actually being loaded. Once
you know that, it's simple to stream it in eg Mplayer. I needed to
do this to watch film trailers at Apple.com or stream soccer games
from mls.com.

    $ curl http://the.site.com | grep '\.\(rm\|wmv\|mov\)'

--

| jabber:..wcmaier at jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier at ml1.net |