New ports in -RELEASE

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:43:40 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 21:11,  the author Ron Gilbert contributed to the
dialogue on-
 New ports in -RELEASE:

>I am running 5.3-RELEASE, and I need the latest version for Subversion
>(1.2.0), but the packages and ports pull down 1.1.4.
>
>I assume this is because 1.2.0 is not in the RELEASE distribution.
>
>Freshports.org says 1.2.0 is the latest, but it doesn't tell me what
>distribution (RELEASE/STABLE/etc).
>
>How can I get the latest versions of things?  I've asked this questions
>before, but the answers are just as cryptic as the problem (to me
>anyway).  I've read several articles on cvsup and they all talk about
>things differently, and I'm not even sure this is what I need.
>
>Is there a way for me to just get Subversion 1.2.0 installed on my
>machine (I already have 1.1.4)?
>
>Is there a configuration to tell the ports to get and make STABLE
>versions instead of RELEASE?
>
>This is very confusing, and the last thing I need is to do something
>wrong and bring my whole machine down.  That is why I am reluctant to
>follow the complex instructions around cvsup (if that is even what I
>need).
>
>Or can someone point me to some very clear instructions for cvsup, that
>doesn't make a assumptions about me already being a FreeBSD guru?  Does
>cvsups fix my problem?
>
>Installing a -RELEASE version and then wanting the latest ports seems
>like a common desire, but it is not addressed very clearly.
>
>Thanks for any help.

I also have 5.3 and my ports tree, which is kept up to date with cvsup, has
version 1.2 of subversion in the ports tree.

cvsup is NOT difficult to use -- in fact quite simple. Just install it, take a
look at the cvsup examples /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ and make a few cahnges
in the files and you are away. I would suggest you consider keeping two
cvsupfiles. One for ports and docs and one for sources. If you do not keep
you system up to date, you run the risk and installing incompatible files.

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.