New ports in -RELEASE

Ron Gilbert lists at rzweb.com
Wed Jun 1 04:14:00 GMT 2005

I am running 5.3-RELEASE, and I need the latest version for Subversion
(1.2.0), but the packages and ports pull down 1.1.4.

I assume this is because 1.2.0 is not in the RELEASE distribution.

Freshports.org says 1.2.0 is the latest, but it doesn't tell me what
distribution (RELEASE/STABLE/etc).

How can I get the latest versions of things?  I've asked this questions
before, but the answers are just as cryptic as the problem (to me
anyway).  I've read several articles on cvsup and they all talk about
things differently, and I'm not even sure this is what I need.

Is there a way for me to just get Subversion 1.2.0 installed on my
machine (I already have 1.1.4)?

Is there a configuration to tell the ports to get and make STABLE
versions instead of RELEASE?

This is very confusing, and the last thing I need is to do something
wrong and bring my whole machine down.  That is why I am reluctant to
follow the complex instructions around cvsup (if that is even what I
need).

Or can someone point me to some very clear instructions for cvsup, that
doesn't make a assumptions about me already being a FreeBSD guru?  Does
cvsups fix my problem?

Installing a -RELEASE version and then wanting the latest ports seems
like a common desire, but it is not addressed very clearly.

Thanks for any help.

Ron