Online Capacity Expansion, RAID, Etc.

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Tue May 31 18:17:00 GMT 2005

Me again,

I was looking mainly for more advanced info, like stripe sizing, not
debating whether software RAID is better then a Hardware RAID, How slow
RAID 5 is, or how to waste 1TB of may storage space switching the array
to RAID 1 or 10 so I can get a speed boost, even though the LAN is the
slowest link.

The RocketRAID 2220, on the market for less then a month, is a real
"hardware" RAID card, my choice for RAID 5 is steadfast.

Thank You... PS could you please CC the relpy to my email addy, I
haven't receved list mail sence the server was blacklist on saorbs.
thank you

-------------
My original post, with some editing:
I'm going to be purchasing a HighPoint RocketRAID 2220 (SATA II) to
build a 1.7TB RAID 5 array but I have some relatively simple
questions... I'm going to be starting the array in a RAID 1 config using
2 drives, I will then migrate, and grow, the array to RAID 5 using the
ORLM and OCE features of the board when more space is required. FreeBSD,
RELENG_5_4, will NOT be install on this array, it will be on a separate
RAID 1 array using the motherboard's on-board SATA RAID controller.

1. How do I grow the slice and file system, ufs2, when we upgrade?
growfs looks like the right tool for the job but could someone provide
some practical examples of how to do all of this.... The goal is to not
have to reboot

2. What's the best way to get this array started on the right track so
we don't have problems when were at 1.7TB?

3. Could you please share any (UNIX specific) tips, tricks, or problems
I might run into with the array,