I am sure I am dense - but I dont know why!!

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 23:19:06 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 14:53,  the author Vizion contributed to the dialogue
on-
 Re: I am sure I am dense - but I dont know why!!:

>>>It seems to be a problem of ncftp then.  Have you, by any chance, used
>>>any fancy CFLAGS when building the ncftp port?
>>
>>No just a straight build from an up to date tree
>>make
>>make install
>>David
>
>I meant to say the other weird thing is that ncftp returns the correct ip
>address when using the  ncftp lookup option... so like you say there seems
> to be a bug somewhere.
Well I solved the problem. I took a look at the source.
Two of my five names servers were down. It seems that the lookup ortion doesnt
really care about how long it waits for a return from a dns server but open
does. Hence the difference. When I shifted the dns server priorities around
(left the same servers in the file but put the out of action one at the
bottom then ncftp works fine!!
Of course both dig and hosts have liong time outs as well !!

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.