Enabling acpi_thermal

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Tue May 31 19:25:48 GMT 2005

After having a router literally melt during a period of record-high
temperatures last week, I've become interested in remotely monitoring the
temperature of some of my systems.

I've got two FreeBSD systems running 5.4.  Both use acpi, and several acpi
sysctl variables are present, but the hw.acpi.thermal family is missing.

At least one of these machines has an internal thermometer because the
BIOS setup screen can show a temperature.  I don't suppose that means this
thermometer has to be visible to the operating system, but I'm hoping that
it is.

I've read the acpi and acpi_thermal manpages.  /boot/loader.conf is empty,
so I'm just getting the defaults from /boot/defaults/loader.conf.  Is
there some simple switch that I can flip to make the hw.acip.thermal
sysctls appear or should I start down the path suggested in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html
for "Fixing your ASL"?

Also, if these acpi sysctls won't appear, is there any hope that any of
the temperature-monitoring applications in the ports collection will work?