tape record bigger than supplied buffer

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon May 30 15:42:32 PDT 2005

Damian Sobieralski wrote:

> I'm test piloting bacula on a FreeBSD 5.4-REL system.  All seemed to
>work well in monitored tests. So last night I set up a job to run at
>night.  When I came in this morning, all seemed to go well...the
>backup happened but I noticed 3 messages on the console:
>
>(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer
>(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer
>(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer
>
>  The backup seemed to go okay as I restored several files off of that
>tape with no problems.  Realizing the console messages mean what it
>does at face value, was any data lost(should i take this as a "warning"
>or as an "error") ?

I've never used bacula, but no one else is jumping in...

1) Try restoring the whole tape to either an empty partition, or if you don't have one of those, to /dev/null.  /dev/null isn't conclusive proof, but I assume that if data weas dropped then there *should* be a failed checksum somewhere along the line.

2) See if you can't find some option to match the bacula record size to that of your tape drive.  Dump, for example, has a -b option e.g. "-b 64" to set its record size.  I'm puzzled by you only seeing three messages though.  Why would three buffers be smaller and not the rest?

--Alex