tape record bigger than supplied buffer

Damian Sobieralski dsobiera at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 17:54:11 PDT 2005

> 1) Try restoring the whole tape to either an empty partition, or if
> you don't have one of those, to /dev/null.  /dev/null isn't
> conclusive proof, but I assume that if data weas dropped then there
> *should* be a failed checksum somewhere along the line.

 I'll do that tomorrow (restore the whole thing).

> 2) See if you can't find some option to match the bacula record size
> to that of your tape drive.  Dump, for example, has a -b option e.g.
> "-b 64" to set its record size.  I'm puzzled by you only seeing three
> messages though.  Why would three buffers be smaller and not the
> rest?

 That's a good question that I don't know the answer to.  I thank you
for the response.  I'll see if I can get a bit more information by
restoring the data for us to work with.  When you say match the record
size to my tape drive's, is this something that should be listed in my
tape drives literature?

- Damian