tape record bigger than supplied buffer

Damian Sobieralski dsobiera at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 10:36:28 PDT 2005

  I realize that I posted this earlier this weekend but with the
American holiday weekend, I am worried some people didn't see it.  I
really could use any opinion on this as tape backups are really new to
me.

 I'm test piloting bacula on a FreeBSD 5.4-REL system.  All seemed to
work well in monitored tests. So last night I set up a job to run at
night.  When I came in this morning, all seemed to go well...the
backup happened but I noticed 3 messages on the console:

(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer
(sa0:ahc0:0:6:0): 65536-byte tape record bigger than supplied buffer

  The backup seemed to go okay as I restored several files off of that
tape with no problems.  Realizing the console messages mean what it
does at face value, was any data lost(should i take this as a "warning"
or as an "error") ?

  Thnak you for any experience that you can share with me on tape
backups.

- Damian