5.4 install disc1 will not find hard drive

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue May 17 13:10:51 PDT 2005

I have been using the same workbench PC to test the building of the
install cdrom from disc1.iso and miniinst.iso since version 3.0
through 5.3 without any problems. The 5.3 miniinst and disc1 work as
expected. 5.4 does not have an miniinst.iso so used disc1. When 5.4
disc1 install cdrom is used, sysinstall(standerd) option gives error
msg (No hard disk found). Then using the 5.3 disc1 cdrom install
proceeds as expected. I can also run ms/dos fdisk & format on the HD
without any problems. The hard drive is an western digital 310100
10GB 33 udma on ata0 as master with the slave unused. Normally
cabled with 80 pin cable. Have tried with 40 pin cable and get same
error message. Even tried 5.4 install cdrom against my production
server/gateway box which is running 4.10 on a western digital 24300
4GB 33 udma and get the (No hard disk found) msg again. Them tried
the 5.3 cd and it found the hard drive on the production box.

Then I used an western digital 102AA 10GB 66 udma HD and 5.4 found
the HD and installed just fine.

Looks like udma 33 support is not working in 5.4

Anybody have 5.4 installed on a udma 33 HD from a install cdrom?