BSD Question's.

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 27 15:54:51 PST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:15 am, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay at internode.on.net>
>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:27 am, Danial Thom
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Schwab Streetsmart
> > > Accounting Software (CA)
> > > Quicken
> > > Photoshop
> > > Adobe Acrobat (for creating PDFs)
> > >
> > > Those are the ones I use daily. Surely there
> >
> > are
> >
> > > some half-assed alternatives for some of
> >
> > these,
> >
> > > but if I have to use something inferior to
> >
> > use
> >
> > > FreeBSD then thats a point against it.
> >
> > This is all a question of the applications you
> > need.
> > My game is full custom integrated circuit
> > design and
> > suitable CAD software is available, at a price,
> > on
> > most unix style systems including Solaris,
> > HP-UX,
> > various Linux distributions and FreeBSD. In
> > this
> > field it is the Windows half-assed alternatives
> > that are distinctly inferior.
>
> No, its  a point of applications that one would
> reasonably need to run a business. I can't run a
> business from your CAD workstation. I can't live
> without accounting software.
>
> I would hardly call apps such as Cadence
> "half-assed", even if you prefer something else.
> In fact, Candence runs on Windows, Linux and
> Solaris but NOT FreeBSD, and its by far the most
> used product the market in that genre.

Cadence have a wide range of products some of which
run on Windows platforms.  But you will be struggling
to do much with Full Custom on XP.

There are some alternatives offered on FreeBSD --
admittedly inferior to the top Cadence products but
also at less than 10% of the licensing costs.

I thought the discussion was about desktop software
not business software; but even so if your business
is IC design then I would think a good CAD suite was
pretty essential.

Malcolm Kay