Apache rewrite log and newsyslog.conf

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Apr 28 08:19:55 PDT 2005

I maintain a small hobby website for some friends.  I use mod_rewrite, and
apache logs all rewrites to /var/log/httpd/rewrite_log.  The log gets very
large and files up /var, so I added it to newsyslog.conf:

/var/log/httpd-access.log               640  5     *    $W0D0 Z
/var/log/httpd-error.log                640  5     *    $W0D0 Z
/var/log/httpd/rewrite.log              640  5     *    $W0D0 Z

As you can see, the newsyslog.conf settings are identical to the
httpd-access.log and the httpd-error.log.  Both of those logs are rotated
daily and only five gzipped backup copies are maintained.

For some reason, the rewrite_log never gets turned over.  Has anyone seen
this problem?  What might I be doing wrong?

 uname -v
FreeBSD 4.9-SECURITY #0: Mon Jun  7 18:02:41 GMT 2004
root at builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas