Apache rewrite log and newsyslog.conf

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Apr 28 08:33:46 PDT 2005

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I maintain a small hobby website for some friends.  I use mod_rewrite,
> and apache logs all rewrites to /var/log/httpd/rewrite_log.  The log
> gets very large and files up /var, so I added it to newsyslog.conf:
>
> /var/log/httpd-access.log               640  5     *    $W0D0 Z
> /var/log/httpd-error.log                640  5     *    $W0D0 Z
> /var/log/httpd/rewrite.log              640  5     *    $W0D0 Z
>
> As you can see, the newsyslog.conf settings are identical to the
> httpd-access.log and the httpd-error.log.  Both of those logs are
> rotated daily and only five gzipped backup copies are maintained.
>
> For some reason, the rewrite_log never gets turned over.  Has anyone
> seen this problem?  What might I be doing wrong?

is it really httpd/rewrite.log or is that a typo for httpd-rewrite.log?

if the file really is in its own subdirectory, permissions on that
dir? tried keeping the file in /var/log proper instead for real
parity with the other httpd log configs?

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348