Starting new entries in /etc/rc.conf

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Nov 26 13:34:32 PST 2003

Bill Schoolcraft <bill at wiliweld.com> writes:

> In other words, how would you correctly "source" the
> /etc/rc.conf file if you can at all or is this file only meant
> to be referenced at boot time?

It's intended to be referenced at boot time, but it's often not very
difficult to figure out what is supposed to happen.

With something as important as starting up a mailer, I recommend a
quick reboot just to be sure that it will start back up properly if
you should, say, have an unplanned outage tonight.  But the risk
assessment depends on your particular situation.