File Permissions

Mike Solis mike at mtsolidarity.com
Thu Apr 24 22:57:00 PDT 2003

I'm pretty new to running my own server.  I've been using a hosting
company for years and thought it's about time to learn.  I'm used to
taking the ftp hostname, username and login they give and going for it.

Why is it a bad idea to ftp directly to your root folder.  I'm not
doubting you, I just like to know why I do things.  I've never used
chrooted ftp but I'll look into it.  I want to do things the right way.
  Thanks for the tip on apache. I'll stick with the production version.