This seems messed up [py-setuptools]

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:48:10 UTC 2014

On 17/04/2014 1:16 AM, paul beard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please have a read of /usr/ports/UPDATING entry 20140307, with tl;dr:
>

> From the URL listed there:
>>
>> If you have any questions, or are unsure whether you can remove a
>> particular entry or not, either:
>> - Delete it, then reinstall devel/py-setuptoolsXY for good measure, OR
>> - Check with us on the mailing list or at #freebsd-python on freenode IRC
>

> I deleted it more than once but apparently it was the
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/distribute-0.6.35-py2.7.egg
> file that was the issue. In the old days, before pkgng, there was a
> way to find files that weren't registered to a port. I should perhaps
> have thought to use that if it still exists.

Paul,

If you have distribute installed in your site-packages (whether or not
you have the port/package installed), you'll want to remove that as well.

Background:

In the past year the Python team have taken (in order) the following
steps to track changes in Python packaging:

1) Replace setuptools 0.6.x with distribute
2) Replace distribute with setuptools 0.7.x+ [1]

Note that setuptools (0.6 and 0.7+) and distribute *all* provide the
'setuptools' python module and corresponding files. py-distribute was
deleted on Nov 29 2013 [2].

For more detail on the effect having multiple or stale versions of these
left installed, see:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2014-April/006828.html

[1] https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/merge.html
[2] http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=335167

We're also available to assist on #freebsd-python on IRC (freenode) if
you need anything :)

Koobs