PYDISTUTILS_AUTOPLIST, stage, man pages

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 17 20:15:39 UTC 2013

on 17/10/2013 21:19 Marcus von Appen said the following:
> On, Thu Oct 17, 2013, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>

>> If it's not obvious from the subject, I would like to ask if it is
>> possible to make PYDISTUTILS_AUTOPLIST cooperate with staging with
>> respect to the manual pages.
>>
>> As you know, the staging code would automatically compress any
>> uncompressed manual pages while their installation to the stage directory
>> is recoded verbatim.  So perhaps there could be an extra step of
>> appending ".gz" to manual page entries that don;t have it.
>
> I am missing an example (port or whatever) here. distutils does not
> specifiy manpages on its own, so they are most likely installed by the
> data_files target. Usually, the proper handling would need to be done there
> or within an own bsd.python.mk hook (ewww). So much for the theory. Can you
> please provide an example port that currently has issues with its manpages
> and staging?

I am not sure if there is such a port currently in the tree, I haven't looked
for one.  We are working on a port of obnam and that's where this would be
useful.  It indeed installs a few manual pages via data_files:

data_files=[('share/man/man1', glob.glob('*.1'))]

http://liw.fi/obnam/

--
Andriy Gapon